Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Kellen & Hobbs

Dear Faithful readers, adoring fans; and for those of you that aren't either, I will start at the beginning. About a month ago, the three of us packed up our things and moved...down the street. During this overly eventful time I broke Kellen's crib, thus resulting in the purchase of a new one; one that I thought to be sturdy and well built. Either I have a ridiculously strong toddler or a poorly built crib, maybe a little of both. As you can see from the photo below that once again we have another broken crib, and this time it wasn't my fault.

During nap time, Kellen was having trouble falling asleep; witch can be the norm for him, if I have not properly worn him out first. After about an hour of him talking, jumping, screaming, crying, and giggling; I decided to go check on him, and try to explain to him what it means to "Go To Sleep." Upon my arrival I found a broken crib. During one of his wrestling session with Hobbs, he must have kicked the crib, and broke the bar. So we scolded him, got him out of bed, took a picture, and then grabbed the wood glue. Our attempt to fix what Kellen had done was met with sore defeat. The next night, sometime after we put Kellen to bed, I heard a funny crack/pop sound from Kellen's room. I went to go check on him, thinking that he must be asleep by now, but instead I was greeted with the most beautiful smile, and a pile of broken wood on my floor. Two pieces of broken wood to be more precise. I don't know how he did it, but he was able to kick out the bar with a clean brake on both ends. It looked as though the crib was made like that. So with it being late into the night, and there not being much we could do about it right then, we just turned the crib around in the attempt that Kellen would stop messing with it, and not see a perfect escape route from his prison we call a crib. The next morning Kellen awoke early as usual, and me being like any other tired mommy, "If he makes another sound I'll get up then." When I entered Kellen's room I found a tired, slightly worried cutie standing outside his crib. Evidently he discovered the whole in his crib and thought it just might be big enough to fight through, and decided to give it a go. And when he was out, he wasn't sure what to do next. So in the end Preston suggested that we glue the bar back into place and turn Kellen's crib into a day bed. I wasn't so sure Kellen was ready, but I new that he wasn't liking his jail any more. I agreed to try it out and see how Kellen did. To my amazement, Kellen did perfect during his nap: didn't get out of bed and didn't fall out either. That night he seemed a little nervous about bedtime, but he now loves getting in and out of bed on his own. He is such a good boy and stays in bed during his naps, and through the night. I have to say, I was not expecting that at all. He is only 20 months, but he understands a lot more then I think he does.

4 comments:

Potters said...

Wow what an eventful couple of days! He is one smart little boy. He's just too cute, I wish we could see you guys more often.

-Shelley

Le Mama! said...

That is halarious. Ofa sleeps in his own bed now. I always worried at the cracking noises the crib made when he was jumping up and down. And we already had a twin size bed so I set it up and now he gets in all by himself and pull the covers up. I think it makes him feel like a big kid.

Van Duren Family said...

Big Boy! Maybe I need to start thinking about that one. Beautiful. You are such a great mommy. I am so glad you are my sister. love you.

Plewe Fam said...

What a huge accomplishment. Switching over to a big boy bed can be quite the adventure, but sounds like your little man was more than ready for the challenge. Way to go Kellen!