Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Shopping

Shopping is one of those things that has caused a lot of stress for Kellen. Especially the Grocery Store. When Kellen was younger, the grocery store was very traumatic for him. He was so familiar with the parking lot and the look of everything that he would start crying the moment we parked. When we got our cart he would refuse to get in, and would cling to my neck. I felt so bad for him! I would end up carrying him through the store while he hid his little face in my neck and cried. I couldn't understand why he would do this and I would get so frustrated sometimes, other times I would want to cry with him. For the most part, we don't take Kellen grocery shopping, we don't take him to the Mall, or Target, or Walmart. Preston does most of the Shopping, while I stay home with the kids. If we do have to take Kellen we know we have 10 minutes tops!!! any longer is asking for a complete meltdown. Now that we have a Respite working it makes things a lot easier. So I plan all my shopping around when she will be here and pre-school, that way Kellen isn't forced to come with me.

To help you understand what public places are like for a Child with Autism I have attached a link to a previous post I did almost a year ago. All I have to say is, the next time you see a kid at Walmart screaming and cry, before you give that family the stink eye remember that kid might be Autistic. YOU NEVER KNOW!!! and the "stink eye" HURTS!!!



Most, if not all, parents of special kids have this same problem. There is just so much going on in Stores, its so over whelming for them.

No comments: