Created by Kellen Lindsay
At Kellen's most recent doctors appointment, we were informed of a possible reason Kellen wasn't talking yet, it could be because he's not getting enough quiet creative play time. And for those of you that don't know Kellen's personality, he is very hyper. I use the word "talking" very loosely-because Kellen talks plenty-just not in words you can understand; or even English for that matter. He runs around the house with his hands in the air screaming, squealing, and shouting. He's not quiet, and he never stops "talking." So-doctor-you want me to do more quiet creative play time? Ok, we'll do more coloring and scribbling. Playing with building blocks, and problem solving games will also probably help, so he says. When Kellen does play with his blocks though, he is throwing them all over his room. I try to encourage him to build by showing him how; but what happens is, I get hit in the face with a block, get a fat lip or a bloody nose and Kellen gets a time out. Not good times.
So. Knowing before hand that Kellen doesn't really like to color, we tried a different route. Preston and I went to the store and bought a Crayola Beginnings paint set. As you can see from the photos, Kellen really had a blast; he did need a lot of help though, not with the painting part, just the not throwing it at me-or anywhere else-and be soft part.
3 comments:
Ha, I know what you mean. Actually Ofa loves to sit and read by himself. I try to read to him and he starts yelling at me like he is trying to tell me to shut up and just look at the pictures. But yeah, most of our play time together consist of how many times can you throw something at mommy. So I feel ya! But don't worry, he'll get it. Ofa just recently started saying words like uh oh and go and bye bye. He only knows like 5 words and he is almost 2. Maybe it's because he is also learning two languages but still I don't think it will be long before Kellen starts picking up words he connects with things.
Talking is so over-rated, once you start asking around plenty of people will tell you their stories of not talking for a few years and then one day you wish they still weren't talking. The painting looks like some good times. You've gotta love a kid that doesn't like getting a little messy. You better keep those, they could be worth money some day!
My kids love painting too. It gets messy but oh well! Yeah, I agree, talking is over rated!! Enjoy the time when he won't talk back to you! He is so cute!!
Post a Comment