Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

My sweet Kellen


I just wanted to give everyone an update about how Kellen is doing. So.... We have discover that he is allergic to cow's milk (not lactose intolerant) and Wheat, and is sensitive to artificial food coloring. Kellen can still have some kinds of cheese and some kinds of yogurt, Kellen can drink soy milk, rice milk, or goats milk; so we try to do a mixture of the milks for him. 

The Wheat thing is a lot harder then I thought, but I have steeped up to the challenge and have Learn a whole new was of cooking, which is kind of fun. Thanks to our fantastic Grocery store here, I have been able to find alternative flours like Brown Rice Flour, Tapioca Flour, Potato Flour, & Oat Flour, to just name a few. Kellen has been able to eat Waffles, Pumpkin bread, Tortilla, Biscuits, Rice Pasta, All of which he loved and couldn't tell a difference. In fact Preston told me that I can't make my Pumpkin Bread any other way, because it is so much better with the rice flour. Kellen can have a little bit of wheat (like a bite) but, I notice that if Kellen does get to much wheat that he can't sleep at night. Yesterday Kellen had way to much Wheat at the Ward party with all the Rolls and cookies, and Stuffing, That he was up all night. I finally got him to go to sleep at about 9:45 pm and then he was up from 1:40-5 am (Preston took the 1:40-2:20 shift and I had the rest, little boys just want there mommies). We are really big on baked goods so this was a little hard at first, but we are doing really good with it now, and it is starting to become a way of life.

The artificial food coloring is another story entirely, If Kellen gets the slightest amount food coloring, 10 minutes is all I have. He is bouncing off the wall, falling down, running into things, hitting, ect. I can see a really big difference since we have taken this out of his diet. Preston and I normally look at food labels, but now we really have to look at labels, you would be surprised what has wheat in it or Red die #40. So we have taken our healthy eating style to a whole new level. 

He is still not talking, but we are hopping it will be soon, He is getting really good at signing though. He does Please, Thank you, All done, More, & Cup. I think I might teach him a few more, just to help out with the communication barrier. I have learned so much from this little trial already, including a new skill, and a little more patience. 

3 comments:

Potters said...

Poor kid. I think I've said it before but he is sure lucky to have you guys. The things we do for those we love...and we don't even think twice about it.

-Rich

Stefanie Sayre said...

i like kellens little shoes! I can't believe they still fit him. It was so good to talk the other night. We talked for hours... but it's nice to be able to share whats going on in cory and my life since I can't at work.

amber {and co.} said...

You guys have been through so much with this sweet little guy! He is definitely lucky to have such patient parents- I can't imagine having to adjust your whole way of cooking and eating, checking all food labels, etc! Is this permanent or something he might grow out of??