Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Just about the Family

I thought it would be nice to give you guys a little family update. Nothing to terribly new just a few things. Preston started back to school a few weeks ago, he loves learner and is excited for some of his classes. He is taking 13 credits, which may not seem like a tone, but it is enough when you have work, family, and callings. He keeps plenty busy, but does a fantastic job of make time for his family and for me. 

I have definitely gotten a lot busier since the New Year rolled around, But still not as busy as some. Just busy with "mom stuff". Kellen is such a sweet-heart, and I just love playing with him all day. I also have a calling in the Church as Enrichment Leader. It's really new for me, but I'm trying to get a hang of it. 

Kellen is the same as always, hyper and outgoing. We had him tested late last month, to see if he qualified for Speech Therapy. We were very excited when they told us he qualified for Speech and Behavioral Therapy (he's not a bad kid, he just doesn't pick up on social ques because of his speech delay). We are hopping they can start with him in February, there is kind of a long wait list, but Kellen seems to be one of there high priorities. They will come once a week for Speech Therapy and twice a month for Behavioral Therapy. I am learning though, that most of the Speech Therapy will come from me. They kind of teach me what do to. Things like don't respond right a way, or respond appropriately to grunts and points. Instead pretend like you don't know what he's talking about for 15-20 seconds, and then be like "Oh you want the Clone Trooper, ok." The idea is to help him see that his form of communication is not adequate enough to get him everything, and so he will want to expand his form of communication, hence, start talking. I have noticed that since I have started with my secret technic that he is signing spontaneously now, Granted it is all most never the right sign, but he is learning. When I ask what it is he is wanting he will automatically sign, were as before I would show him the sign then he would mimic it, and then he would get what ever it was. His lattes sign that he has learned is "help," He is darling when he signs it. I will ask him if he needs help and he turn around and sign help to me. 2 years old is when toddlers go though a "language explosion," I can see it starting to happen for Kellen, just not on the same scale as other kids.

Well that is about it, we are doing well and trying to stay warm here in our Snow Globe.  

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm glad to hear you're able to get help with Kellen. How frustrating for both of you that he's having trouble communicating and I'm sure it's nice to know that you can learn how to help him. We really do need to get together sometime!

amber {and co.} said...

Yay I love updates about your cute family! That's awesome that Kellen is getting help with these programs, and I'm sure it's a relief just being able to have a plan of action! I hope it's successful, I'm sure you'll both do great with it! :)

Le Mama! said...

Yay for Kellen and improvement. I worked with a lot of kids in speach therapy while in school. It can be really hard on the parents too especially when they both work. So Its really good your at home. And yes, 2 years old is a time of language explosion. Ofa didn't want to talk for a long time and used to just point, grunt, scream. But I must admit we must of confused him with all the switching from tongan to english all the time. now he wont be quiet. He talks all the time, but in a language we havent figured out yet. half tongan half english and a mix of both. Good luck on the classes and I'm sure he will excel greatly from them.

Stefanie Sayre said...

Wow sounds like you guys are busy! Cory couldn't enroll. Because he cancelled his fall classes and could not defer they kicked him out of BYU-Idaho. So he is trying to re-enroll and hopefully he'll start in Summer if all goes well. This puts us back a semester, but I just have to remember that he will eventually be done with school.

Lloyd Family said...

Hey Terri, I didn't know you guys had a blog. It is fun to see what everyone is up too. Let us know if you need anything, and we need to go swimming some time soon.
Sadie and Mack

Cody and Kylie said...

Im so glad to hear you guys are doing so well! Kellen seems to be learning a lot of useful things. He is such a cute kid! I am sure the therapy will do wonders for him. I will be praying for it! Hope all is well!