Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

School

So Kellen started school this week. He goes two days a week, for an hour and fifteen minutes. To give you a little bit of an idea about the program, It's for kids from 18 months to 3 years old. Most of which have a speech delay, or anything developmental, or physical. The Teachers are actually BYU students learning to be Speech Therapists or Developmental Therapists, with one head teacher that has been there done that. Kellen has a Speech, Developmental, & Occupational Therapist that all come to the house a few times a month, and then he gets more interaction twice a week in his class. They have an observation booth, so I can watch Kellen play. And let me tell you, there is nothing more hilarious then watching these teachers chase after Kellen. He sends the trucks down the slide, throws blocks in the water table (sensory table was water this week) Pulls everything off the walls, pours his juice on the table, twice... within a minute of each other. Dumps out buckets of toys, then runs off and dumps out a different bucket of toys, all the while laughing his little guts out. When it's time to sit, he plays this elaborate catch me if you can, with 2-3 teachers, when they do finally get him, he tries to do this army crawl and grunt to get away, and some times he does and the game starts all over again. Preston says I make handling Kellen look easy, but when others give it a go, you can see how hi maintenance he is. 

The Toddler Program only goes through July, But then he will start Pre-School. Because Kellen's birth day is in September he misses the cut off line. So he will actually get 2 years of Pre-School. He will start a special transitional Pre-School, and then next year he will start for real (same school same teachers). He will be the oldest in his class, but hopefully with the extra year and with all the teachers being familiar with him, he might be able to handle himself in appropriate manner while in class, and be able to sit when asked. Because right now, sitting is next to imposable, I am a little worried about him moving out of primary next year, but we will cross the bridge when we get there. 

Another good thing, because Kellen is in school and I don't have to stay and watch him, I am able to go do other things, by my self. So I take one day and stay and watch kellen to see how he does, and the other day I go up to the Temple. One of the many blessing of living in Rexburg, the Temple is laterally 2 minutes away from where Kellen is. I don't have very much time, but it's more then what I had before. 

Kellen is starting to talk a little though. He says NO all the time, and GO, OK, SIT, "oh wow, whats that?", or just "what's that?", or just "oh wow". But you have to remember when he does say these words, thy are breathing like a whisper, and he says then multiple times, ie: go go go go  OR ok ok ok ok ok. When he says "oh wow, what's that?" he says it like it all one word. But non the less I am proud of him. And he's up to about 20 signs now. So yeah that's about it, we are all doing really well. We love and miss all you guys. 

8 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Kellen! I miss that little guy. It's so hard to believe our little ones are going to be in primary next year! I don't think I'm ready for that :(

Natalie said...

You two are such good parents! I'm glad that Kellen has the resources he needs in Rexburg. I hope you're doing well!

Plewe Fam said...

Sounds like you've found a great program for him - I totally applaud parents that use the resources that are out there instead of trying to struggle all on their own. I could chase that little guy all day he is so stinkin' cute and his little smile just gets to me. You're incredible Terri...enjoy your time at the temple that sounds awesome.

Stefanie Sayre said...

That's great that Kellen gets some time to interact with other children and hopefully learn from the program.. and you deserve some time alone. I wish I was up in Rexburg so I could watch Kellen real quick so you can have some more RR. We miss you guys so much!

Cody and Kylie said...

By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. So every small step Kellen takes is actually a big one! Sounds like he is doing awesome! You are such a cute mom!

Katie May said...

Yay! I'm so glad to hear there's some improvement! I'm with Kate in saying that you're doing such a good job at helping Kellen and doing all that you can. I'm sure it's hard and emotional and exhausting. I completely applaud you! I'm cheering you on, even from PA!

Potters said...

O he is handfull isn't he! Wow, but that is so fun that he's in school, and what a blessing for you to be able to go to the temple. So nice. We miss you guys! We havn't seen you in years!

shannon said...

Hey girly! Yeah they are the wipe cases that we all have. The plain white huggies ones. I just cover them with fabric and make them look cute! They are fun huh? Let me know which one you would want!!