Excerpt from the Book:
For days, I'd been searching Mexico's Sierra Madre for the phantom known as Caballo Blanco- the White horse. I'd finally arrived at the end of the trail, in the last place I expected to find him- not deep in the wilderness he was said to haunt, but in the dim lobby of an old hotel on the edge of a dusty desert town.
When it comes to ultadistances, nothing can beat a Tarahumara runner- not a racehorse, not a cheetah, not a an olympic marathoner. Very few outsiders have ever seen the Tarahumara in action, but amazing stories of their superhuman toughness and tranquility have drifted out of the canyons for centuries. One explorer swore he saw a Tarahumara catch a deer with his bare hands, chasing the bounding animal until it finally dropped dead from exhaustion, "its hoofs falling off." Another adventurer spent ten hours climbing up and over a Copper Canyon mountain by mule; a Tarahumara runner made a the same trip in ninety minutes.
Very good, and exciting read.
2 comments:
hey did you get some mail from me?! I sent it Tuesday morning, so you should be getting is soon if you don't have it already! Enjoy your package!
I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS! sadly, the queque for this book at the library is TWENTY TWO PEOPLE LONG! 22 PEOPLE?!?? thats what i get for living in a college town where people love to read and are too poor to purchase books. i did however, pick it up when i was in the bookstore the other day and read the first few pages and had to force myself to stop reading and go pick up nicki at the airport... i may or may not have been late. i didn't want to put it down. so, i guess i'll just have to be patient and wait for the other 22 people to enjoy before i get my hands on it...
Post a Comment