Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Still no Photos!!!

Well I think I might know what the problem is, why my computer won't upload photos. We recently installed an Internet filter call K9. Does anyone else have that one? Well we installed it about a month and a half ago, but it has been that long since I put any photos on here. The program wont let me put photos on the Internet, and I can't seem to figure out how to get around it. So I might have to take my computer to a Mac Dr. to have them show me how to work it. BYU-I sells the Mac's and K9, so I guess I will have Preston take it back up there, they seem to know what they are talking about. So until then no photos, sorry.

But in other news. Kellen started Pre-School this week. It is 2 days a week for 2 hours, with a class size of 6. He is doing really good!! and loves the time with the other kids. All the kids are either on the spectrum (Autistic etc.) or like Kellen have some form of a Sensory Processing Disorder. This class will go for 6 weeks then Kellen will be moved into a main stream class and take his shadow teacher with him. So in other words he will get one teacher just to himself.

Potty time is going really good. I am still not sure if Kellen's ready for full time potty training, but he might be closer then I think. We still have a really BIG communication barrier, so it's not like he can tell me that he needs to pee. He loves to sit on the potty, and will pee every time I put him on, so about 3-5 times a day. I think he might like it because he gets to be naked. Today he refused to get off the potty because I have a diaper in hand, waiting for him. He really did not want to put that diaper back on. so then he signed bath, more or less just to prolong his nakedness. I'm fine with him taking a bath in the middle of the day, so whatever. But he wouldn't get in, instead he runs to his bedroom. So I grab a pull up for one hand and a diaper in the other. "Kellen, do you want this one, or this one?" "dis on". he chose the pull up, and was more then willing to put it on, and continued to run around the house. So, we are close. It will be a great day to have a diaper free boy. If you guys have helpful tips let me know.

8 comments:

Vanessa said...

Communication is huge...that's what took me so long with Jonah. Once they can communicate more, they are more ready (at least that was my experience). I tried so many things, and sometimes they worked, but overall it was timing. Good luck, potty training is my least favorite thing! Persistence is the biggest thing you can do to help, along with praise.

Emily said...

I had the same problem! That is a great idea to take it to the Mac store on campus! Let me know if you find out anything.

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
denae said...

It's important when potty training to teach them to listen to their bodies which will tell them when they have to go...so they don't really need to tell you as long as they can get into the bathroom and go by themselves. Bootycamp is a real place in Illinois where a lady potty trains kids in a day...maybe you can find our more about it on the web? May the luck of the Irish be with you.

Stefanie Sayre said...

hey i need your address again. I lost it and i promise to write it down this time. BUt i need to send you a baby shower invite. So if you don't mind can you please email it to me at : stefanie.sayre@gmail.com

Thanks!

Le Mama! said...

Yay for potty training. since your last post on it i decieded that I really needed to work on it. so far so good for us. All last week during the day Ofa wore regular underwear. but we had to put him on the toilet evrey 30 min to make sure he didn't have an accident. but every time he wants to go poo he brings me a pull up and tells me to put it on him. He still likes to poop in a dipar! I just don't get it. he's gone a few times in the toilet but he insists on wearing a dipar when he has to go. He knows he needs to go in the toilet but still no luck with it. I don't get it. But they always say they will be ready when they are ready and to be patient.

Jen said...

We have K9 on our computer but have never had a problem uploading photos. Good luck with the potty training. I'm so glad it's over for us (for a while at least).

Quinn, Amanda, Reggie and Orrin said...

hey I just found your blog and i think kellen is so funny! He cracks me up! We have K9 too and I can't get it to work with my blog either. If you find out anything let me know!