Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It's not just a stick!

One thing that always gets me kind of emotional is seeing Kellen play with other kids his own age. It just reminds me of how different he is. Today the sun was shining and I decided to take him to the park. With our sunny days few and far between you can imagine how packed it was, which always over whelms him. I have to say up front, that he did so good. He didn't even throw a tantrum when it was time to leave. It just seemed like today all the kids were picking on him, one little kid (older then Kellen) actually tried to pick a fight with Kellen, because Kellen bumped him with his stick. This kid got so MAD, I was shocked, I tried to explain to the kid that my son doesn't understand you. And then a little while latter Kellen dropped the stick so he could climb and another little boy picked it up. If you know Kellen you know you don't mess with his sticks!
(think of your own child and the thing they are the most attached to, a blanket, or stuffed animal, then take it and hold it just out of reach. Kellen's security items are sticks) That should help you understand everything better.
Kellen just lost it, the tantrum was started the tears were streaming. And this kid was adament that the stick was his now. I hated seeing Kellen like that, after all Kellen had it first. I tried to explain to Kellen the best I could that we needed to share our toys with other kids. Eventually Kellen tore it from the other kid's hand and ran off, with little boy and me chasing him. I really wanted Kellen to have his stick but I couldn't let him keep it, because of how he took it, so I made him give it back to the other kid. Kellen followed that kid all around the park crying for the stick for then next 10 minutes until the other mother said he had to give it back. That's all it took, and he stopped crying and went and played. If that mother really new what it was doing to Kellen, I think she would have made her son give it back sooner. She probably just thought I was a bad mom and that I need to teach my kid how to share.

Lots of other kids were getting mad at him because of other varies things. It was just really hard to see the other kids pick on Kellen right in front of me. I tried to step back and let kids be kids, but I couldn't. I tried to help Kellen interact with the kids appropriately but the kids didn't care, in there minds he was just in the way, and they wanted him to leave. When did kids get so feisty.

It makes me so worried to think that when he goes off to elementary school that the kids will pick on him, and I wont be there to defend him, or help him to say the right things. Today I have really felt the weight of being a mother of such a special boy, I feel totally inadequate and horned at the same time to be given such a big responsibility. I love Kellen so much and It just breaks my heart to see him struggle.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Terri! Thanks for making me cry! :) I think school will be a better experience than the park because if there becomes a problem with kids picking on Kellen the teacher should sit the class down and have a class discussion. That's what a good teacher would do.

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

What a hard situation :( Keep on doing what you're dong though, you are a great mom and so caring to him!