I hate the feeling of being frustrated. But, Ugh... I just am!
Last week Kellen's Speech Therapist could only give him 30 minutes before he had to ditch out. I just got a call tonight saying that Kellen's Speech was canceled for Friday, and that he would only have OT. Because speech and OT are back to back I had a hard time remembering what time I would need to be there. So, the lady was nice enough to look it up for me. In the process she realized that Kellen only goes for 45 minutes. She says, "That's odd he's the only one that I have seen that only goes for 45 minutes, all the other patients get 1.5hr-2hr."
Wow that makes me feel so good! I have been asking for more time for Kellen, and they keep telling me they can't fit him in, and come to find out that he is the only one that gets just 45 minutes. On top of all of that I feel like I know so much more then they do about Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy. They Keep telling me he is doing so good with therapy, which he is I can see that, but I keep telling them he's not doing well at home, and asking for suggestion, and they have nothing. I even told the OT that I was trying to teach Kellen his ABC's and he was like "wow really." Ummm yeah... Don't most 4 year old's know there ABC's? I know Kellen is way behind, but I want to at least try. Just because it's unclear of what he knows, and what he can learn doesn't mean I'm going to just let him fall between the cracks, and fail his way through school. Who know, Kellen could be a genius for all I know, I just can't get him to stop moving long enough to find out.
I picked up this book I started reading almost a year ago to refresh my memory, it's called "The out-of-Sync Child." I love this book. It's not really about Autism (ASD) it's about Sensory Processing Disorders (SPD) And thus far I have been able to brake Kellen down.
Kellen is a Tactile Over-respoder & a Vestibular Seeker. There is still one more category that I haven't got to it, it's Proprioceptive. But these are things that no one else has been able to tell me, I found them out on my own. I'm reading stuff that every educator or therapist should know, but they don't, why?
I am also reading another book call the Autism Resource Guide, which so far, I'm enjoying. I'm not far enough into it to get much of a felling yet, but I have really enjoyed what I have read so far. Anyway, I am really hoping that the move to AZ will be a better place for Kellen to get the help he needs. I love the Small town fell, but there is just not enough for Kellen here. Sorry Rexburg.
4 comments:
Its true that moving to a larger area will have more options for Kellen. Not only that but because there will also be more children that share Kellens needs so the help should be more available. ABC's. Don't feel bad. Ofa is Four and he is just learning his. He's got the tune down....we are working on the letters :) I don't know what AZ has to offer but I was surprised on what Hawaii has to offer. Ofa goes to a special ed preschool that is actually part of the DOE and is held at the elementry school. He even gets picked up by the "special" bus and gets to eat lunch with and go on feild trips with the kindergarten class. Ofa is the most active of the six in his class of 6 but I never worry about him there. and he gets bahavioral and speach therapy twice a week while at the school. I love it. Maybe AZ has something like that too. I had to call the elementry school to find out about this and it took a lot of testing a paperwork. I hope AZ has something that works for Kellen and that his needs will be met. Your in my prayers.
How frustrating! From what I get from hearing my other friend's struggles with this same kind of thing is that it's a never ending battle. Things should be better in AZ though I hope! Keep fighting Terri! You guys are in our prayers.
I would get the ball rolling in getting things set up for your little man so there is less to do when you get here. Let me know if you need help - my kiddo gets PT, OT, and speech every week for an hour at our home and it is great...and Kellen should qualify for preschool as well - I would start phone calls now so there is less to get situated when you get here. And please, let me know if I can help. I think you will be moving in right around the corner from me!
Wow, that would be so frustrating. Sounds like they are major slackers out there in ID, and they really should know more; especially if they are supposed to be providing therapy for these kids. Its a good thing you are such a good mom, and an avid reader. I hope there are some awesome programs in AZ, which I am sure there will be.
Post a Comment