So lately Preston and I have been talking about getting Kellen a service dog. I have been reading a lot of articles about the benefits of animals and Autistic children, and think it might help him get through the days. We would get a puppy and then train it to be a service dog/ therapy dog. The photo above is a Labradoodle Puppy. Labrador Poodle mix. Highly trainable, people friendly, good with kids, easy grooming, and minimal pet dander, for those that might be allergic. We have talked about getting Kellen a dog for over a year now, because of how much problems he has at home. But the idea of having a registered services dog, is much more enticing. We would be able to take the dog every where! The mall, the grocery store, Hotels, Air Ports etc. These are places that are very stressful for Kellen. I took Kellen to the Animal Shelter today to see how he like being around a dog, that he was actually aloud to touch. It really wasn't a good indicator of how Kellen would act normally just because there was so much noise, and he go SOOO over whelmed. But he did seem to like the more mellow lab puppy. I think we might take him on Saturday to see some more puppies that live on a farm in Rigby, which are for sale. That will be a lot less overwhelming for him, and that will give us a better idea. We are still undecided weather we will do it or not, just trying to figure out if it will help Kellen. If any of you have and tips, pointer, or words of caution, feel free to comment
5 comments:
I totally love the thought of Kellen getting a dog! They are so wonderful!
My dad and 2 of his siblings have that type of dog! All three dogs are AMAZING! I have never seen a dog so easy going and playful with children. I don't know Kellen and how he would do but it sounds like a good idea to me :)
that has got to be the cutest puppy face ever!! Congrats on the newest addition:)
One of the Attorneys at the Prosecutor's office I was working for is a service dog trainer. Always brought his beautiful labs to work. I'll get his contact info for you and he can give you good advice :)
I saw some service puppies in the airport a couple weeks ago, it looked like a lot of fun for the kids to have their pal everywhere. I think that would be awesome for Kellen. :)
Post a Comment