Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Monday, January 11, 2010

How to make Baby Booties

Making a tutorial was not as much fun as I thought it would be, so I don't plan on doing another one. I might change my mind later thought.
First you need to gather all your materials. 2 complementary fabrics, leather or felt, fusible interfacing (Heavy or Medium) Ribbon and your pattern. Be sure to have stuff to decorate them when they are done, such as, Buttons, pearls, lace, felt etc. The pattern that I use I got from a book, and then modified it. If you live here in Rexburg I would be more then happy to make you a copy, other wise, I would recommend finding on online or you can get one from Simplicity Patterns.
Step 1: Cut out your fabric. 2 of the outside fabric, 2 of you inside fabric, and 4 soles (2 of fabric 2 of leather or felt)
Step 2: Place your top (out side) fabric on the Fusible Interfacing and Iron them together. Then cut them out.
Step 3: Place Ribbon and pin. I pin about 2.5 inches from the heel. Place your other fabric on top and pin. Right side will face each other. Depending on your ribbon, I like to melt the ends of mine so that there is no fraying. Ribbon should be about 9inches or more.
Step 4: Sew along the inside hem, starting at the heel and working your way to the other end of the heel. Maintain the same width all the way around.
Step 5: turn your fabric so that right sides are facing out. You will need to iron it to make it turn. So in other words this is the hard part. If you are having a hard time getting it all the lay flat, trim up the inside hem a little, it will help.
Step 6: Lay the heels flat, matching up the top and the bottom ends. Sew along edge.
Step 7: Iron them hem line flat, everything will lay better this way. Then Iron the top of the Heel down.
Step 8: The sole. I like to sew the leather to the fabric to make it easier to sew to the shoe part. Sew with right sides facing out, all the way around, there is no turning the fabric.
Step 9: Pin the sole to the shoe starting at the heel and working your way to the toe. When you are ready to sew start at the toe, going all the way around. After I have done the hole thing I like to reinforce the toe and the heel. Before you turn right side out check the integrity of the stitch to make sure you get it right the first time.
Introducing your finished product.
I made the Booties to go with this Dress/ Shirt that I made. This will fit about a 6 month old.

6 comments:

Le Mama! said...

Oh my gosh. If and when I ever have a girl I'm placing a big order! I love your stuff! Too bad it wont look good on a boy! Maybe i'll send you some money to make me a bag that I could use as a diaper bag? Only if you have time of course. Luv you and miss you.

Stefanie Sayre said...

way cool.. thanks for posting this. i just may make a bunch of booties for josie now!

The Cox Family Established July 16, 2005 said...

Thanks Terri, I am having a girl and am due on March 19th. Her name is Aubrey Marie.

Maddie said...

Girl, i'm not going to even try to pretend that i can do this without your help. Can I come over and can you help me make some booties?

Emily said...

That is such a cute dress, too? Where did you get the pattern for the dress?

Potters said...

Terri you are so talented! I LOVE the dress. I need to learn how to do all this so my little girl can wear adorable things like that!