Autism Awareness Month

April is Autism awareness month, so I will be posting about Autism and how it has changed our lives.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Back to School

Kellen started back up at school today, which is always nice. He attends the preschool at BYU, so they set everything up like semesters. This will be Kellen's 3rd semester there. Preston was so kind to take Kellen this morning so that I could go to the temple, it's been awhile. Kellen is in a normal class with regular kids, which is both good and bad in my opinion. It's good because he will hopefully pick up on some of the good behavior of the other kids, and learn what he is suppose to be doing. And not so much bad but hard, when you put Kellen next to another 3 year old you can really see that he is different. And the other kids are picking up on it too. At home I sometimes forget that he is autistic, or even 3 for that matter.

I was at the park the other day with Kellen, back when the weather was nice, and there was this little girl that keep calling Kellen's name. I was like is she calling my Kellen?? When she came over I recognised her from his class last semester. She always made such an effort to say Hi and Bye to Kellen at school, which I loved. That little girl will never know how much that ment to me. I would always have to tell Kellen to say Hi or Bye. So were at the park and she comes running over and says hi. "Kellen say Hi." Kellen says hi and then some gibberish, and then "I hurt" and points to his missing tooth. That's a boy for you, show off those battle scars.

We just learned today that Kellen will only be getting 4 more weeks of school, and no summer school because of budget cuts. Other then preschool the only other outside help that he gets is 45min of Speech and 45min of OT once a week, which in my opinion is not enough. Most of his Speech Therapy and OT he gets from me here at the house. He loves going to school, and I love it to, even though he doesn't pay much attention to the other kids he likes to be around them. And it gives me a 2 hour brake to do what ever. I might try to get his Therapist to give him more time, will see what happens.

Here are a few photos of Kellen at School. They are taken by his shadow teacher.
Kellen is wearing he compression vest in this photo, and that is one of his teachers next to him.

Kellen is suppose to be finger painting, but he doesn't like his hands to be sticky. So they let him use paint brushes.

One of the things that Kellen is really good at is building. He always builds these elaborate Lego towers. It's kind of impressive.

2 comments:

Jen said...

With all my friends that I have whose kids have autism that seems to be the most common thing. There just aren't enough resources when they are pre-k. I wish I knew more and could be a better help. You guys are in our prayers. Hopefully someday soon they will figure something out that will be useful in helping children with autism.

Lloyd Family said...

He is getting so big!! :) We miss you guys. Good luck with everything